Latex Allergy Info
Avoidance is the only real treatment for latex allergy — stay away from latex as much as possible; especially stay away from latex (rubber) balloons (mylar is okay), which put latex molecules into the air as they are inflated, as they deflate, and when they POP!
Latex allergy guidelines for food — don’t handle/prepare food wearing latex gloves; don’t handle dishes with latex gloves; don’t bring balloons into room or near anyone who might be allergic to latex. See below for safe restaurants.
Related food allergies — I must avoid these: potatos, kiwi, bananas, avocados, chestnuts. Some can’t have strawberries.
Some who are allergic to latex are also allergic to aloe vera, which is now commonly added to soap, lotions, shampoos, and other personal care products.
Visit http://www.latexallergyresources.org/ for more information.
Dr. Cannon keeps my allergies under control
Dr. Susan Albers, chiropractor, straightens me out and keeps latex away from me
Dr. Hillis is a kind and gentle and skilled dentist who has NO LATEX GLOVES!! http://www.stpetersdentalcare.net
The St. Charles YMCA on Shady Springs Drive and the McClay Library at 2760 McClay Road in St. Charles have in the past banned latex balloons. Check before going in to be sure.
Margie at Gene’s Shoes on Main Street, St. Charles, checks with shoe manufacturers to find safe shoes. http://www.genesshoes.com
Cute shoes from BucketFeet — We Believe Art is For Everyone. www.bucketfeet.com
Decent Exposures excellent latex-free undergarments and swimwear. They have added items for men to their catalog.
Customer service at these businesses will carefully check for latex:
Plastibands, Sanford erasers, 3M Superior Mousing Surface Mousepads — all good.
New product assurances of no latex:
Vionic slippers and sandals — excellent for posture and correct pronation
socks LIVINGroyal.com really pretty, will even custom-make with your photo
https://vimvigr.com/ cotton socks are latex-free (top band too tight for me 😦
Pillo-Pedic from Foot Levelers, for proper neck alignment.
iPad case https://touchfire.com
** WARNING! Books from Better World Books are shipped in latex-covered plastic, which, like the sticky plastic wrap for home use, is a hazard to those with latex allergies.
Bandaids — a friend wrote to ask for advice and I thought I should add my response to this list:
I buy Band-Aid brand, as they are non-latex, but for small problems, I use paper tape, treating the cut with peroxide and a bit of Vanicream which keeps the tape from sticking to the cut. The paper tape will dry quickly if it gets wet, so no soggy, water-soaked pad. It doesn’t stay on as long, but works better for me.
Here’s a list of “safe” restaurants and other businesses in the St. Peters / St. Charles / St. Louis, Missouri area — but I always check each time I go in, as they sometimes change gloves and procedures. Many thanks to those willing to make a safe place to enjoy dining and visiting with friends!
- Big A’s on the Riverfront, 308 N. Main St., St. Charles, MO 636-949-9900
- Cafe Osage 4605 Olive Street, St. Louis MO 63108 (314) 454-6868
- •Cracker Barrel
- •Crooked Tree Coffee House – 636-669-5282
- •Culpepper’s 3010 West Clay, St. Charles 636-916-3102
- •Cyrano’s Coffee Cafe & Dessert
- •Dairy Queen – 1450 Jungs Station Rd, St Charles, MO 63303 – 636-928-1344
- •Denny’s – 3939 S Outer Rd #2012, St Peters, MO – 636-928-4559
- Dino’s Italian Restaurant 6240 Mexico Road, St. Peters, Mo 63376 (636) 922-4441
- •Domino’s – 45 Charlestowne Plaza, St Charles, MO – 636-447-7070
- First Watch 312 Mid Rivers Center, St. Peter’s, MO 63376 636-970-0050
- •Flaco’s Cocina 8400 Delmar
- 4 Seasons Bakery 2012 Campus Dr., Saint Charles, MO.(314) 288-9176
- Fresh Thyme
- Hendricks BBQ 1200 S Main St St Charles, MO 63301 (636) 724-8600
- Louisiana Cafe 1350 Triad Center Dr, St Peters, MO 63304 (636) 922-7429
- Mario’s Donuts & Cafe 2786 Muegge Rd., St Charles, MO 63303 (636) 447-4515
- •Miss Aimee B’s Tea Room – 636-946-4202
- • Miss Sheri’s Warson Woods, 9967 Manchester Rd. (314) 968-9995
- •Olive Garden Italian Restaurant
- •Outback Steakhouse – 1620 Country Club Plaza Dr, St Charles, MO – 636-940-9409
- Rendezvous Cafe 217 South Main Street · O’Fallon, MO 63366 · 636-281-CAFE
- •St. Louis Bread Company Not all safe, ask! (known as Panera’s in other localities)
- Simply Thai, 2470 N. Hwy. 67, Florissant 314-921-2179
- •Spiro’s – 636-916-1454. Two locations: Bluestone Dr., St. Charles; (Natural Bridge by UMSL — special order w/ Spiro)
- •Steak n Shake
- Stefanina’s 636.447.7800 652 Jungermann Road
- Tucker’s Place West 14282 Manchester Rd. 636-227-8062
- •Uno Chicago Grille
- Yo My Goodness 2621 Muegge Rd, St Charles, MO 63303 636.922.1245
- •Mid-Towne Market (Julie) at 317 Hawthorne, St. Charles, MO – 636-724-6500 and now carry Better Life Products
- Benne’s Best Meat 850 South Breeze, St. Charles, 63304 636.486.6024
- CSA shares for veggies Terripin Farm Facebook page
- Valenti’s Meats 6750 Mexico Rd. St. Peters, MO 63376 636-970-2992 (will seal packages without masking tape if asked)
*** Pappas Toyota‘s waiting room — good coffee and fruit and Wi-Fi also.